Swedish Lemon Angels – Mmmmmm April 23, 2006Posted by Retired Geezer in Food, Humor.
I used to run a spotlight for Penn and Teller at the Rio in Vegas.
Penn is really into practical jokes.
We tried his “Swedish Lemon Angels” scam on Mrs. Geezer’s friend-from-childhood.
She hasn’t spoken to us for 5 years. A friendship of 40 years… pfffftt.
Here's the recipe so you can lose some of your friends.
At least the ones without any sense of humor.
Swedish Lemon Angels
* 1 egg
* 1/2 cup buttermilk
* 5 teaspoons baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 cup lemon juice
* 1 1/4 cups sugar
* 7/8 cup all-purpose flour
* 8 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. In a small bowl, beat egg until foamy.
3. Mix in buttermilk and vanilla.
4. Gradually add baking soda, one teaspoon at a time, mixing until smooth and creamy.
5. Pour in lemon juice all at once and blend thoroughly.
6. Once mixture has congealed into a pasty lump, scoop it out with a spatula and spread on a floured surface.
7. Sift flour and 3/4 cup sugar together and work it into the egg-lemon lump with your fingertips.
8. Roll the dough very thin (1/32 inch) with a floured rolling pin, and cut out angel shapes with a knife.
9. Curl up the edges slightly and sprinkle the angels with the rest of the sugar.
10. Brush angels with melted butter.
11. Place angels with at least an inch apart on a baking sheet.
12. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.